Our Curriculum Intent
At. St Joseph’s our curriculum is based on our shared vision: no child is left behind; and our mission statement: Providing excellence in education so that each child reaches their full potential, developing an enquiring mind and a love of lifelong learning.
We endeavour to deliver excellence in learning and teaching and expect all learners to be actively engaged and independent in their own learning across the whole curriculum. Our Catholic Ethos permeates through all that we do and is at the heart our spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all learners.
Our curriculum focuses on:
- The child as a learner, and allows breadth and depth of learning, offering challenge and enjoyment, personalisation and choice, whilst considering each child’s academic and personal development so that they understand and value their place in the world
- Progression of skills, knowledge and vocabulary. This is closely monitored and tracked to ensure the opportunity of attainment and progress of all learners at the highest level across the whole curriculum
- Coverage and content is planned and sequenced effectively across the school and personalised to each child’s needs so that new knowledge and skills build on learning that has come before
- Building in a plethora of opportunities to develop our children’s cultural capital, including the wealth of local attractions and amenities London has to offer, thus allowing all pupils to make further progress in all areas of the curriculum
- Prioritising and building upon the core skills of reading, writing and maths throughout all subjects in readiness for the next stage of their education
In St Joseph’s we offer a relevant, engaging and innovative curriculum that enables our children to uncover a world of possibilities - inspiring each and every child to reach their true potential. In order to support us with fulfilling this rich curriculum, we use Cornerstones as a starting point. Cornerstones offers a broad and balanced curriculum which is knowledge and skills rich. This gives our staff access to over 80 themed projects mapped to the national curriculum which we then adapt to fit the needs of our children and our context.
The Four Cornerstones of Learning provide the structure on which we build our curriculum. We call these Engage, Develop, Innovate, and Express. We believe this pedagogy reflects the best way children learn and is rooted in a variety of different educational approaches and research. The four stages are as follows:
Engage – hook children in with a memorable experience.
Develop – allow children time to gather the skills and knowledge they need to develop a deep understanding.
Innovate – offer creative experiences that allow children to apply their skills, knowledge and understanding.
Express – provide the space and time for reflecting, evaluating, and celebrating learning.
We endeavour to ensure that by the time the children leave St. Joseph’s to embark on the next stage of their education, they are equipped with the academic skills and knowledge, and have developed the personal attributes needed to enable them to become successful citizens of the future. We believe that the most important principle of our curriculum is to develop curiosity and a love of learning. It is our aim to provide a curriculum that is derived from high quality first teaching, well-planned and prepared learning activities and engaging and memorable learning opportunities. Our creative curriculum, supported by Cornerstones, provides us with a wide range of topics that we adapt to ensure each learner receives a broad and balanced curriculum.